Alan Watts quotes are inspirational and promote conscious living.
Alan Wilson Watts was a philosopher, writer, speaker, and prominent member of the counterculture movement. He was one of the first and most articulate exponents of Eastern philosophy to speak to Western audiences.
His popular and critical works attracted a wide following among the American hippie generation.
Alan Watts Quotes
Alan Watts quotes are consistently among the most shared across multiple social platforms, so I’d say there is some interest out there.
Read the quotes of the late Alan Watts on the nature of spirituality, consciousness, humanity and God.
- “The style of God venerated in the church, mosque, or synagogue seems completely different from the style of the natural universe.” –Alan Watts
- “No work or love will flourish out of guilt, fear, or hollowness of heart, just as no valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now.” –Alan Watts
- “If you cannot trust yourself, you cannot even trust your mistrust of yourself – so that without this underlying trust in the whole system of nature you are simply paralyzed” ” –Alan Watts
- “Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.” –Alan Watts
- “We seldom realize, for example that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society.” –Alan Watts
- “When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point. And exactly the same thing is true in meditation. Meditation is the discovery that the point of life is always arrived at in the immediate moment.”–Alan Watts
“To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead, you relax, and float.” –Alan Watts
- “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.”–Alan Watts
- “I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”–Alan Watts
- “This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play”–Alan Watts
Alan Watts Quotes on Life
Here are some more amazing quotes by Alan Watts. Read these life quotes and you will learn a lot about your life.
- “Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” –Alan Watts
- “If you study the writings of the mystics, you will always find things in them that appear to be paradoxes, as in Zen, particularly.”–Alan Watts
- “The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.”–Alan Watts
- “But I’ll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you’ll come to understand that you’re connected with everything.”–Alan Watts
- “You don’t look out there for God, something in the sky, you look in you.”–Alan Watts
- “The reason we want to go on and on is because we live in an impoverished present.”–Alan Watts
- “But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be.”–Alan Watts
- “Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.”–Alan Watts
- “And people get all fouled up because they want the world to have meaning as if it were words… As if you had a meaning, as if you were a mere word, as if you were something that could be looked up in a dictionary. You are meaning.” –Alan Watts
- “You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself” –Alan Watts
“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” –Alan Watts
- “So then, the relationship of self to other is the complete realization that loving yourself is impossible without loving everything defined as other than yourself.” –Alan Watts
Related- Andrew Carnegie Quotes»
- “The more a thing tends to be permanent, the more it tends to be lifeless.” –Alan Watts
- “Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” –Alan Watts
- “Never pretend to a love which you do not actually feel, for love is not ours to command.”–Alan Watts
Get in the flow of life! Here are the best quotes by Alan Watts on life, god, happiness, universe, death, time , love and lots more.
Enjoy our website with Alan Watts quotes in different contexts and perspectives, If you like it then share this page with your friends and relatives.