This is a collection of quotes and sayings from the celebrated writer, Oscar Wilde. His quotes are really inspiring and life changing.
Oscar Wilde is a writer and poet whose words are sure to inspire, motivate, and energize. His unique quotes will make you smile, laugh, think, question, and more.
So quit scrolling through the same old quotes from the classics and pick something fresh from our blog! Check out the Quotes by Oscar Wilde Collection!
Quotes by Oscar Wilde
A great way to enjoy reading Quotes by Oscar Wilde and his famous sayings on your phone.
The Oscar Wilde Collection, a gathering of quotes by the most quotable man in modern literary history. From the witty mind behind such classics as The Importance of Being Earnest and The Picture of Dorian Gray.
- Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
- Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
- “Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is by far the best ending for one.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.” –Oscar Wilde
- “There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.” –Oscar Wilde
- Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
- Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
- “A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.” –Oscar Wilde
“One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.” –Oscar Wilde
- “The aim of life is self-development. To realize one’s nature perfectly – that is what each of us is here for.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” –Oscar Wilde
- I have nothing to declare except my genius.
- The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.
- Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
- With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?
Oscar Wilde Love Quotes
Here you will find many of his famous quotes and sayings of love. These will help you to understand love more deeply.
- Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
- The heart was made to be broken.
- “The very essence of romance is uncertainty.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Men always want to be a woman’s first love – women like to be a man’s last romance.” –Oscar Wilde
- “The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death.” –Oscar Wilde
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” –Oscar Wilde
- “An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.” –Oscar Wilde
- “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” –Oscar Wilde
To define is to limit.
- I am not young enough to know everything.
- There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
- Who, being loved, is poor?
- Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Related- Sensible Love Quotes»
- “Art is the only serious thing in the world. And the artist is the only person who is never serious.” –Oscar Wilde
- Crying is for plain women. Pretty women go shopping.
- Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.
- Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.
Great Quotes by Oscar Wilde
The perfect gifting choice for fans of Oscar Wilde, here is the great collection of his quotes and proverbs.
- “How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Every woman is a rebel.” –Oscar Wilde
- If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.
- You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.
- Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.
- Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer.
- “Nowadays most people die of a sort of creep ing common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one’s mistakes.” –Oscar Wilde
- Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.
- “Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world’s original sin. If the cave-man had known how to laugh, History would have been different.” –Oscar Wilde
- Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul.
- “Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives.” –Oscar Wilde
- Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.
Related- The Alchemist Quotes»
- “When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one’s self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” –Oscar Wilde
- I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.
- It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.
- “Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one’s head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Life has been your art. You have set yourself to music. Your days are your sonnets.” –Oscar Wilde
- To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
Best Quotes by Oscar Wilde
The post makes a great gift for any Oscar Wilde fans around you, or anyone passionate about literature. Read these best quotes by Oscar Wilde and learn more.
- “True friends stab you in the front.” –Oscar Wilde
- We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
- I don’t want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.
- Never marry at all, Dorian. Men marry because they are tired, women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.
- I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.
- “The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.” –Oscar Wilde
- To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
- The world is a stage and the play is badly cast.
- A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.
- I am too fond of reading books to care to write them.
- The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.
Related- Quotes by George Orwell»
- “A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he does not love her.” –Oscar Wilde
- “A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.” –Oscar Wilde
- I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects.
- Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
- I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
- The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
- “Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing.” –Oscar Wilde
Quotations by Oscar Wilde
Need some more quotations by Oscar Wilde? Then here it is a collection of famous quotes.
- “One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.” –Oscar Wilde
- “A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.” –Oscar Wilde
- “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they’ll kill you.” –Oscar Wilde
- “A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.” –Oscar Wilde
- Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
- I don’t want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there.
- We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.
- “In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. (Mr. Dumby, Act III)” –Oscar Wilde
- “Crying is for plain women. Pretty women go shopping.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Never marry at all, Dorian. Men marry because they are tired, women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.” –Oscar Wilde
- I can resist anything except temptation.
- A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.
- Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
Related- Quotes by Carl Jung»
- “A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend’s success.” –Oscar Wilde
- Yet each man kills the thing he loves By each let this be heard Some do it with a bitter look Some with a flattering word The coward does it with a kiss The brave man with a sword
- I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.
- “Music makes one feel so romantic – at least it always gets on one’s nerves – which is the same thing nowadays.” –Oscar Wilde
- “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” –Oscar Wilde
- “Women have a much better time than men in this world; there are far more things forbidden to them.” –Oscar Wilde
Quote Oscar Wilde be Yourself
Oscar Wilde quotes and sayings are brought together in this collection for all readers.
- “Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.” –Oscar Wilde
- After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.
- The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.
- “There are moments when one has to choose between living one’s own life, fully, entirely, completely-or dragging out some false, shallow, degrading existence that the world in its hypocrisy demands.” –Oscar Wilde
- You can never be overdressed or overeducated.
- “Yes, death. Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one’s head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forget life, to be at peace. You can help me. You can open for me the portals of death’s house, for love is always with you, and love is stronger than death is.” –Oscar Wilde
- Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend’s success.
- Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
- “Words! Mere words! How terrible they were! How clear, and vivid, and cruel! One could not escape from them. And yet what a subtle magic there was in them! They seemed to be able to give a plastic form to formless things, and to have a music of their own as sweet as that of viol or of lute. Mere words! Was there anything so real as words?” –Oscar Wilde
Browse through hundreds of quotations and sayings by the literary genius, Oscar Wilde.
The Oscar Wilde quotes are the perfect companion for everyone who loves quotes or people who are interested in learning about writers or poets.