Quotes on Freedom is a list of notable quotes and quotations from people throughout history on the concepts of freedom and liberty.
Read freedom quotes from people all around the world to deepen your understanding of what it means to be free. Start exploring our collection and expand your own view of freedom today.
Our new collection brings together a hundred quotes about freedom in one post. Whether these words move you or motivate you, you’ll find just the right quote in this compact collection of classic quotations.
Quotes on Freedom
This post containing famous quotes of world leaders and personalities about freedom. An inspirational collection for everyone who seeks to keep the spirit of freedom alive in their lives.
For centuries, people have struggled to define the meaning of freedom. These quotes have helped others think about this complex concept and live their own lives reflectively.
- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. – Mahatma Gandhi.
- For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. -Nelson Mandela
- Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged. -Ronald Reagan
- Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better. -Albert Camus
- Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. -Mahatma Gandhi
- If you want total security, go to prison. There you’re fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking… is freedom. -Dwight D. Eisenhower
- People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. -Soren Kierkegaard
- You have freedom when you’re easy in your harness. –Robert Frost
- Freedom is what you do with what’s been done to you. -Jean-Paul Sartre
- We must be willing to pay a price for freedom. -H. L. Mencken
The truth is I love being alive. And I love feeling free. So if I can’t have those things then I feel like a caged animal and I’d rather not be in a cage. I’d rather be dead. And it’s real simple. And I think it’s not that uncommon. -Angelina Jolie
- Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people. -John Adams
- The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment. -Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Perfect freedom is as necessary to the health and vigor of commerce as it is to the health and vigor of citizenship. -Patrick Henry
- I’m a big advocate of freedom: freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of thought. -Jimmy Wales
- The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom and benefit. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
- I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein
- Heresy is another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene
- Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. -Brad Thor
- We do not commonly see in a tax a diminution of freedom, and yet it clearly is one. -Herbert Spencer
- Freedom is the recognition of necessity. -Friedrich Engels
Quotes About Freedom Flying
We’ve all soared on wings. Flown high up in the sky and thought about things below.
- Do not allow to slip away from you freedoms the people who came before you won with such hard knocks. -David Herbert Lawrence
- When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. -Charles Evans Hughes
- Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor it must be demanded by the oppressed. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
- There is no such thing as a little freedom. Either you are all free, or you are not free. -Walter Cronkite
- All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. -Winston Churchill
- Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits. -Thomas Jefferson
- Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. -Viktor E. Frankl
- Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. -Abraham Lincoln
- The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission. -John F. Kennedy
The sweltering summer of the Negro’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The best road to progress is freedom’s road. -John F. Kennedy
- Israel was not created in order to disappear – Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and the home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom. -John F. Kennedy
- Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain… To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices – today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it. -Kevyn Aucoin
- It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. -Mark Twain
- The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all freedoms. -William O. Douglas
- Freedom lies in being bold. -Robert Frost
- Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry is own weight, this is a frightening prospect. -Eleanor Roosevelt
- Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. -John F. Kennedy
- The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. -Jim Morrison
- In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free – honorable alike in what we give and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. -Abraham Lincoln
True Freedom Quotes
True Freedom Quotes is a blog dedicated to providing the best quotes on freedom in life and leadership.
- True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made. -Franklin D. Roosevelt
- China has to go along with world trends. That’s democracy, liberty, individual freedom. China sooner or later has to go that way. It cannot go backward. -Dalai Lama
- Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
- Punk is musical freedom. It’s saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster’s terms, ‘nirvana’ means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that’s pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock. -Kurt Cobain
- It does not take a majority to prevail… but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. -Samuel Adams
- Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom. -George Washington Carver
- In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility – I welcome it. -John F. Kennedy
- There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires. -Nelson Mandela
- Freedom is contagious. That’s why despots fear it so much. -Bill Owens
- Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you’re a man, you take it. -Malcolm X
- I chose America as my home because I value freedom and democracy, civil liberties and an open society. -George Soros
- Freedom is never easily won, but once established, freedom lasts, spreads and chokes out tyranny. -Trent Lott
- Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen. -Warren E. Burger
Related- Equality Quotes»
- I need this wild life, this freedom. -Zane Grey
- Freedom is the right to one’s dignity as a man. -Archibald MacLeish
- Freedom of the press is not an end in itself but a means to the end of achieving a free society. -Felix Frankfurter
- Coercion, after all, merely captures man. Freedom captivates him. -Robert McNamara
- We should favor innovation and freedom over regulation. -George Allen
- Human beings crave freedom at their core. -John Ensign
- The link between my experience as an entrepreneur and that of a politician is all in one word: freedom. -Silvio Berlusconi
Quotes on Freedom of Life
Quote collection on freedom of life. Best quotes and famous quotes on freedom of life.
- Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The very idea of freedom incites fear in the hearts of terrorists across the world. -Elizabeth Dole
- Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That’s what real love amounts to – letting a person be what he really is. -Jim Morrison
- Expose yourself to your deepest fear after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. -Jim Morrison
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. -Jim Morrison
- Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -Ronald Reagan
- If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. -George Washington
- We will not waver we will not tire we will not falter, and we will not fail. Peace and Freedom will prevail. -George W. Bush
Related- Pro Life Quotes»
- None who have always been free can understand the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom to those who are not free. -Pearl S. Buck
- All theory is against freedom of the will all experience for it. -Samuel Johnson
- What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist. -Salman Rushdie
- May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right. -Peter Marshall
- Freedom is the only law which genius knows. -James Russell Lowell
- You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man’s freedom. -Clarence Darrow
- Freedom is from within. -Frank Lloyd Wright
- We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom, and fun. -William Glasser
Related- Wisdom Quotes»
- Freedom rings where opinions clash. -Adlai E. Stevenson
- As human beings, we are endowed with freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it ourselves. It is our responsibility. -Arnold J. Toynbee
- Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from. -Vernon Howard
- In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice, but nothing to choose from. -Peter Ustinov
Quotes on Freedom and Liberty
Quotes about freedom and liberty are great reminders that we must be vigilant in protecting our freedom and liberty.
- I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy – but that could change. -Dan Quayle
- Enslave the liberty of but one human being and the liberties of the world are put in peril. -William Lloyd Garrison
- I believe in freedom of speech, but I believe we should also have the right to comment on freedom of speech. -Stockwell Day
- Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. -Frank Herbert
- You cannot parcel out freedom in pieces because freedom is all or nothing. –Tertullian
- Is freedom anything else than the right to live as we wish? Nothing else. -Epictetus
- Freedom is the oxygen of the soul. -Moshe Dayan
- Freedom is absolutely necessary for the progress in science and the liberal arts. -Baruch Spinoza
- We’re giving our freedoms away. The American experiment was about freedom. Freedom to be stupid, freedom to fail, freedom to succeed. -Glenn Beck
- Children should have enough freedom to be themselves – once they’ve learned the rules. -Anna Quindlen
- ‘Freedom from fear’ could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. -Dag Hammarskjold
- Real freedom is having nothing. I was freer when I didn’t have a cent. -Mike Tyson
- The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. -John Stuart Mill
- For in the end, freedom is a personal and lonely battle and one faces down fears of today so that those of tomorrow might be engaged. -Alice Walker
- Freedom is a man’s natural power of doing what he pleases, so far as he is not prevented by force or law. -Marcus Tullius Cicero
Related- George Orwell Quotes»
- As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress. -Marcel Proust
- I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free. -Nikos Kazantzakis
- Freedom and justice cannot be parceled out in pieces to suit political convenience. I don’t believe you can stand for freedom for one group of people and deny it to others. -Coretta Scott King
- Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. –Pericles
- There are two freedoms – the false, where a man is free to do what he likes the true, where he is free to do what he ought. -Charles Kingsley
Freedom is one of the most beautiful words in the English language. This is why we all enjoy quotes on freedom. These quote images are about the importance of freedom.
Freedom, how do we define it? There are a lot of different ways to define freedom. Here are 100 quotes about freedom and tips for living a free life.